Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cutting Corners


I recently came across a quote that read; "There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going". I've been thinking a lot about this statement as I have literally tried to track down a solution to cut a few corners on a project I am working on. All the solutions I have come up with have been on minimum investment, but they also didn't achieve the result I was really looking for.

It got me to thinking how often when I think a short cut may be the answer, that I may sacrifice on the quality of what I am doing, or the experience I am seeking. Life is full of these situations, you want the house without the expense, the body without the sweat, the job without the qualifications or responsibility. Let's face it, most of us(including me) are often trying to find ways to take shortcuts in our lives, in whatever direction we may be going.

The irony of this is that by doing so we often miss out on some of the value of what lies right before us because we are so focused on what lies ahead. Sometimes, the point of life is what you learn enduring something, not getting through it as fast as you can. I know in my life, I need to make a better effort at valuing things for what they are teaching me, not what the end result will be.

No comments: