Tuesday, November 25, 2008

nothing without the cranberry


In my opinion cranberry sauce can make or break Thanksgiving, which means it is absolutely crucial to have a knock your socks off recipe to ensure your Holiday doesn't fall short. You don't have such a recipe you say? Have no fear, I'm here to give it to you. For the past four years I have made the yummy recipe below courtesy of Barefoot Contessa and I've impressed myself every time. Perhaps it is my grandmaother in me, but I think it would be a form of torture to eat cranberry sauce from a can. I think my Gammy would be proud of this sauce, and the best part is the recipe is so easy it will make you feel like a really good cook and make your house smell amazing.

Ingredients
1 (12-ounce) bag of fresh cranberries, cleaned
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 orange, zest grated and juiced
1 lemon, zest grated and juiced
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
* raisins and nuts optional (I'm a traditionalist so I skip them)

Directions
Cook the cranberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the skins pop open. Add the apple, zests, and juices and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add the raisins and nuts. Let cool, and serve chilled.

No comments: